Monday, September 13, 2010

Where did I learn how to be female?

When I was younger I used to be a tomboy. I did not really care about the things I wore or how I looked. A normal outfit for me would be a baggy shirt, warm-ups, and a pair of Nikes. Sure, my mom would put me in dresses for special occasions, but most of the time I just wanted pants and a shirt. My dad would buy me baseball caps and basketballs and take me to the park. Mostly, I was just concerned with having fun and playing in the sand. It is kind of hard to climb a tree or play two-hand-touch when you’re nine and in a dress. Looking back on it, when I was younger, there was not really a distinction between boys and girls. Tom me, boys were friends. They were people I played tag with or raced to the cafeteria against.
I think it was not until I hit middle school that I really started to become a “girl”. Up until then, I still had a lot of fun just being one of the guys. I am still like that in many ways. I have always had more male than female friends. I would definitely pinpoint my transition into girlhood to middle school, though. I think the reasons are fairly obvious. Middle school. Changing bodies. PUBERTY. Once I hit puberty, I think I started to become more aware of myself and how I looked to the opposite sex. This can be attributed to the animalistic need to mate and reproduce. The first thing I think of in this instance is the peacock. A male peacock’s plume is designed to attract a mate by its illustrious display of feathers. I feel as though it is the same for humans. We use our subjective views of beauty to make ourselves more attractive to the opposite gender. In the case of me, the female, through this change, it was becoming more of a girl in order to attract a male counterpart. As goes the story of the human race, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment